FOOTBALL CHAPLAINCY
Back in late November, Chip Kelly was hired to be the new Head Football Coach at UCLA. I was invited to join Coach Kelly and his entire staff for a series of weekend recruiting dinners during the month of January. I was asked to share briefly with prospective recruits and their families about my playing background as well as my current role as chaplain to the team. In addition, I was asked to give the invocation for our meal. To top things off, I was placed at Coach Kelly's table, which provided he and I a great chance to get acquainted with one another over our meal. (Keep in mind, up until this point, I hadn't officially met Coach Kelly or any of his new staff, so this dinner event provided me with an awesome opportunity to do so all at one time.)
While I don't know anything about his spiritual life, I was told by one of his coaches that coach Kelly would be pretty open to my continued ministry with his team so that was certainly encouraging to hear. What a "God Provision" this was for our future ministry with this team.
There is great interest among the players for a team bible study and so I am hoping to launch this at the beginning of April, once students return from their Spring Break. Please pray for the Lord's will to be done here.
![]() |
| Former UCLA teammate, Javelin Guidry & Coach Kelly on (1/12). |
TALBOT SEMINARY STUDIES
These past few months have been quite busy for me since classes began in early January. With only 7 courses left to complete my Masters degree, I am currently enrolled in 3 classes this semester. As such, I am taking "Counseling Troubled Families", a seminar course on "Stress Management", and the second of a 3 semester Internship requirement for all Pastoral Care & Counseling majors. Therefore, in addition to attending these classes weekly, I have also been fulfilling this internship requirement at a local church called Grace Baptist, where I am have ben shadowing its Care Ministry Team. GBC was recommended to me, not only because of its proximity to where I live, but because its Care Ministry is one of the best in Southern California. It's been such a blessing to be under the leadership/mentoring of Pastor Dan Broyles and his amazing team. Through this internship, I have also been receiving weekly lay counseling training, taking part in Supervision and Care staff team meetings, as well as connecting with some of their pastors and key lay leaders. Just last week, GBC hosted its' yearly Care Conference Training for area pastors and leaders and it proved to be such a great investment of my time over that two day period.
Bruin Varsity Life
Over the past few months, our teaching focus at our co-ed weekly athlete gatherings has centered around the "benefits of being in Christian Community". Our hope and prayer for these students would be they develop closer relationships with others who they can authentically share their lives with and be encouraged along in their spiritual formation in the process. One of my highlights from this past quarter was having, Tim Muret, come share with our group. Tim serves with OpenDoors, a world-wide ministry which serves the Persecuted Church. The stories we all heard that night were truly shocking and yet, left us filled with such hope.
Jenny and I love being able to shepherd these students and walk along side them as they try to balance being college students, athletes, and people who are committed to growing in their relationships with God.
![]() |
| Introducing on BVL Servant-Leader Team on (1/9). |
![]() |
| Teaching on how God uniquely S.H.A.P. E.'s His children on (1/30). |
![]() |
| Jenny & students praying for the Persecuted Church on (2/13). |
AUSTRIA MINISTRY TRIP
Back in early January, Jenny and I agreed to be co-teachers at a week long Bible Camp over in Saalfelden, Austria. What an unexpected, yet very unique ministry opportunity that came our way and we are absolutely thrilled that our kids will also be able to travel with us to be a part of this venture. More detail to follow as we get closer to our July trip.
![]() |
| A view from the Austrian Alps, where the camp will take place. |
FAMILY MATTERS
- Jenny is three weeks into her season with the Beach Volleyball Team and her team has started off with some big wins. They are currently ranked #2 in the nation and Jenny loves the down time she gets to have with the girls on the road and off the court.
- Jaylen received her driver's permit back in mid-January and has officially relieved Jenny & I as her "Uber Driver".
- Jaylen's Club Volleyball season is moving full steam ahead. Recently, she and Jenny were in Salt Lake City, Utah for a weekend tournament and were treated to a little snow.
- In a few weeks, I will have the rare opportunity to accompany Jaylen to her tournament out in Chicago.
![]() |
| Jaylen's club teammates in Salt Lake City on (2/18). |
![]() |
| Kory's final game of the season ends in victory on (2/8). |
- Last summer, Kory decided that he just wanted to solely focus on basketball as his sport. Therefore, he played on his 7th grade team back in January/February and had an enjoyable experience.
- In order to get more playing experience and improve in his skill development, he will be playing on a club team through our home church over the next few months.







No comments:
Post a Comment