Thursday, May 25, 2017

TREASURED TIMES



BEACH VOLLEYBALL


Just a couple weeks ago, Jenny and her beach volleyball team completed their season. The team finished with a 30-6 overall record and was ranked as the #2 team in the country for the majority of the season.  Unfortunately, they fell short of their ultimate goal of winning the National Championship, but can take some consolation in the fact they were the only team who beat the eventual champion, USC, this season.  You see, back in late March, the Bruins ended the Trojans 62-Dual match win streak.  Can I get an 8 clap?:))

Beyond the joys of victory, Jenny has unique opportunities to mentor her players in life as well.  Kamila, who just completed her final year with the team has developed a very close relationship with Jenny, often inviting her to pray with her before she competes.  What a blessing it has been for Jenny to come alongside Kamila in this way as well as in many other ways.  We will miss Kamila, who is also a very gifted poet, but equally excited about what lies ahead for her as well.



Jenny with Senior, Kamila Tan (5/18).




End-Year banquet with just a few of the girls (5/18).




PASTORAL CARE & CHAPLAINCY



As part of a class assignment, I spent nearly 40 hours with patients at a nearby nursing facility learning about healthcare chaplaincy and developing my pastoral caregiving skills.  Whether listening to patients share about their lives, pushing them around the facility in their wheelchairs or simply offering up a word of prayer and reading Scripture, my sole agenda was to attend to their needs. 
 What a blessing to serve the sick and elderly and remind them God hasn't forgotten them.  It was simply an amazing experience.   I had sober reminders ever week I walked through those doors. Unfortunately, a few of my patients died during my tenure there, but I know, even that was a good experience for me to go through.  Although I'm done with this class assignment, I have felt led to continue in my visitations to this place.  After spending 3 months establishing great rapport with many of the patients, I find it quite difficult to just stop. We will see what the future holds, but for now, I will continue with this routine.




BRUIN VARSITY LIFE


Next week will be our final BVL meeting of the year.  We will look to honor our seniors and I will have the opportunity to give a 10 minute final challenge to the group as they head into the summer time.  Looking back we saw a great influx of students involved in this weekly chapel this school year.  Though several members of our Senior BVL Leadership Team will be transitioning next year, we are really excited about the 8-10 student-athletes who will be providing leadership next year as part of our BVL Servant-Team.  Jenny and I have been asked to shepherd this particular group moving forward and we are excited about what lies ahead.






FAMILY MATTERS


The kids are literally counting down the days when they are officially out of school.  To be honest, Jenny and I are too:)  Jaylen had an awesome freshman year and is now looking forward to getting her driver's permit later this week.  Oh boy!  As for Kory, fun times are ahead, as he will soon celebrate his 12th birthday as well as his promotion from elementary school to middle school.  
Lastly, Jenny and I celebrated our 20th year of marriage on May 17th.  We couldn't be more grateful to the Lord for His incredible blessings on our lives down throughout the years.



Varsity Volleyball Championship Ring Ceremony (4/21).




Daddy/Daughter time in Chicago (4/15).



Kory enjoying all the car action at
the Long Beach Grand Prix on (4/8).









1 comment: